The First SMS "SHINE" Awards!
Two weeks ago when we announced the last call for Teacher of the Year voting, one sixth grade student came to the office wondering where he could cast his ballot. When we told him that only staff could vote he was disappointed and asked; "Who knows better than the kids who the best teachers are?" It was a fair question. So we instituted the first ever SHINE awards, student chosen teacher of the year awards for each grade level and for electives. After a week of voting, and with all lunch periods reporting, we are prepared to announce the winners:
- 6th Grade - Ms. Lori Clark
- 7th Grade - Mr. Andy Lathren
- 8th Grade - Mr. Dan Segal
- Electives - Mr. Eric Zeigler
All are pictured below with the award's founder.
School Make-Up Days
CHCCS has seven Snow Days to make-up in the coming weeks. Here is the list of what days are being made up when:
- February 17 is being made up on March 27;
- February 18 is being made up on June 11 and June 10 is now a full school day;
- February 19 is being made up on June 12, the Last Day of School, and students will be released two hours early;
- February 20 is being made up through Delayed Opening hours - students will now go to school at the regular time on March 12, April 23 and May 21;
- February 25 is being made up on Saturday, March 21 (an early release day, with time schedule TBA);
- February 26 is being made up on May 25 (Memorial Day); and
- February 27 is being made up on Saturday, April 11 (an early release day, with time schedule TBA).
The Board of Education has approved an additional Saturday make-up day if needed on May 16.
Smith Middle School Yearbook
The Credit by Demonstrated Mastery program provides another opportunity for students to learn new content, to challenge themselves with the next level of rigor in a subject, and even graduate early.
To learn more, visit: http://cdm.chccs.k12.nc.us